Monday, July 22, 2013

Meet Your Coaches

Coach Smith - Head coach
  1. How long have you played volleyball and where?  I played volleyball from 7th - 12th grade for Barron. I also played intramural volleyball during my college years at UMD.
  2. Where did you go to college? I went to the University of Minnesota Duluth.
  3. Why do you like coaching? I enjoy coaching because not only are you teaching a beautiful sport, you are also teaching life lessons.
  4. Other interests outside of volleyball? Outside of volleyball I enjoy basketball, soccer, being outdoors, spending time with my family, being involved in my church, teaching, and scrap booking.
  5. What is a goal you have for 2013? A goal I have for 2013 is to learn as much as I can.
  6. Favorite volleyball memory? My favorite volleyball memory is my team the senior year of high school. We were a close group of friends and we worked hard. We lost at sectional finals that year and enjoyed the entire ride.
  7. What grade/subject do you teach? I have taught 3rd and 2nd grade at Spooner Elementary School. I am currently a 3rd grade teacher there.
  8. How do you like to work out? I like to work out by walking, roller blading, or playing sports.
  9. Favorite foods? I love pretty much any type of food. I really love pickles, ice cream, and Chinese!
  10. Family? I have been married for eight years to Sam. We own i play in Spooner. We have two children, Noah and Isabelle. We have our third child on the way, Jonah. He is due in December. I also have six nieces and nephews that belong to eleven brothers, sister-in-laws, and brother-in-laws. I love my huge family.

Coach O'Connell - JV team 
  1. How long have you played volleyball and where? I played volleyball competitively from 7th - 12th grade at Eau Claire North High School.  I know play in sand leagues for fun.
  2. Where did you go to college? I went to college at UW-Eau Claire.
  3. Why do you like coaching? I've been involved in athletics since 5th grade, so it's always been a part of my life.  I love coaching because I am able to share my passion and love for the game with young athletes. 
  4. Other interests outside of volleyball? Other interests I have outside of volleyball are basketball, hanging out with family and friends, fishing, working out, and watching movies.
  5. What is a goal you have for 2013? A goal I have for myself for 2013 is to enjoy the ride and not stress over the little stuff.
  6. Favorite volleyball memory? My favorite Spooner volleyball memory is our JV team beating Hayward last season in a comeback victory!
  7. What do you teach? I teach 7th grade Math.
  8. How do you like to work out? I love to run, bike, roller blade, lifting weights, hike, and swim.
  9. Favorite foods? I love all foods beside mushrooms :)
  10. Family? I am married to my best friend Ryan and we have two cats Michelangelo and Leonardo.  My mom and dad, Lynn and Rob still live in Eau Claire in my childhood home.  I have one brother and a sister in law, Charlie and Tawny, and they have my precious little niece, Olive.

Coach Jensen - C team
  1. How long have you played volleyball and where? I played volleyball my freshman year in High School.  I also have played many years of intramural volleyball in college and sand volleyball leagues during the summers.
  2. Where did you go to college? I attended college at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville
  3. Why do you like coaching? I enjoy coaching because it provides an opportunity for me to help build character and relationships with students outside the classroom.
  4. Other interests outside of volleyball? Fishing, running, quilting, and baking just to name a few :)
  5. What is a goal you have for 2013? My goal for 2013 is to get to know each of my players and help build and develop their skills and character on and off the court.
  6.  Favorite volleyball memory?  I attended a coaching clinic a couple years ago and the guest speaker for the clinic was Russ Rose, the head women's volleyball coach for Penn State.  He was incredible to listen to!  Best part of the clinic was that we rode in the same elevator as him once and were able to have a conversation with him!
  7. What grade/subject do you teach? High School Physical Education and K-12 Adapted Physical Education
  8. How do you like to work out? Running
  9. Favorite foods? Mexican, Chinese, Pizza  
  10. Family? I grew up in a small town south of Madison, WI. I am the oldest of 3 children, and I have a sister and a brother!  I met my husband while I was teaching in Ashland, WI and we recently relocated to the Spooner/Webster area.
  11. Anything else? If you think you can, YOU CAN.  If you think you can't, YOU WON'T.

Coach Maki - 7th grade team
  1. How long have you played volleyball and where? I played volleyball for five years for Spooner.
  2. Where did you go to college? UW-Eau Claire
  3. Why do you like coaching? I've never coached before, but I love playing volleyball. I also used to teach/coach dance for a few years and it was really fun to help teach kids something new about something I love doing.
  4. Other interests outside of volleyball? I have always loved music and dancing. I also enjoy reading, gardening, traveling, and spending time with family.
  5. What is a goal you have for 2013? Coaching goal: to learn the skills to be a great coach in order to help the players not only learn all of the skills in volleyball, but also how to work together and love the sport.
  6. Favorite volleyball memory? In 8th grade, out volleyball team won 1st place in a tournament. We worked really hard and played as a team. It was fun throughout the whole tournament playing each game with my friends, and winning the tournament was a bonus.
  7. What grade/subject do you teach? Last year I taught kindergarten, and this year I plan to teach 1st grade.
  8. How do you like to work out? I always liked doing drills and scrimmaging. When I work out on my own I like to dance and do Pilate's or yoga.
  9. Favorite foods? Any kind of dessert and Italian food
  10. Family? My family is from Spooner. I have two older sisters, and I recently got married. My family is everything to me, and I love spending time with them as much as I can. (My maiden name is Miss Tyler)